|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Rygar is an adventure video game created by Tecmo and first released in Japan under the name Argus no Senshi (Warrior of Argus). The player assumes the role of the "Legendary Warrior" who travels through a hostile, monster-filled landscape, his only defense the mystical Diskarmor, a shield with a long chain attached to it.
Rygar was first released as an arcade game, later ported to the Sharp X68000, Commodore 64, Sega Master System (Japan only; as Argos No Jūjiken), Spectrum 48K, Amstrad 6128 and the Atari Lynx. It was also included in a compilation of game called Tecmo Classic Arcade for the Xbox. Additionally, versions of the game were made for the Atari Lynx (which closely followed the arcade version) and the Nintendo Entertainment System (which was completely different). In November 2002, Rygar was updated and released to the PlayStation 2 as Rygar: The Legendary Adventure, and ported to the Wii under the title Rygar: The Battle of Argus.
- Genre Shift: From straight action side-scroller in the arcade, to 2D Metroidvania for the NES, to 3D Metroidvania for the PS2/Wii.
- Giant Flyer: Epolcons, which drop eggs on the hero's head.
- Giant Spider: Sagila, the boss of Sagila's cave.
- Killer Yoyo: The Diskarmor.
- When Trees Attack: The Kinobles.