|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Scooby-Doo is the 2002 live action adaptation of the Hanna-Barbera Cartoon starring Freddie Prinze Jr., Sarah Michelle Gellar, Matthew Lillard, Linda Cardellini and Rowan Atkinson and directed by Raja Gosnell.
- Adaptational Villainy: Scrappy-Doo.
- Animated Credits Opening: The movie was originally intended to have an animated opening that would transition into live action but it was cut. It can still be seen completed as a Deleted Scene.
- Amusement Park of Doom: Spooky Island
- Big Bad: (Fake) Emile Mondavarious, who really turns out to be Scrappy Doo. The real Emile Mondovarious was locked away.
- Black Sheep: Velma notes that while thereotically being with the rest of the Mystery Gang would be perfect...there's always a bad seed in every family. That bad seed happens to be Scrappy Doo.
- Blind Without'Em: Velma, as in canon.
- Body Horror
- Breaking the Fellowship: The gang decides to break up Mystery Inc. and go about their own paths.
- The Cameo: Pamela Anderson
- Chekhov's Gag: Melvin Doo. Also, the villain yelling "Scooby Doo, where are you?!"
- Conveyor Belt of Doom: The opening scene.
- Deconstructive Parody: The film enjoys taking apart the tropes of the Scooby Doo Universe, Daphne getting kidnapped, warning of obviously dangerous and scary locations and examining the roles of the team.
- Designated Girl Fight: Averted, Daphne ends up fighting a wrestler of all people. A muscular one, too.
- Demonic Possession: Justified in the demon's case...sunlight can easily kill them...unless they're protected by being inside a human's body. They can however be easily expelled if the soul in question in released, though it's possible for a soul to inhabit the wrong body.
- Dramatic Unmask: The opening with the Luna Ghost, everyone but Velma is surprised of who the culprit is. Then there's Emile Mondovarious, who turns out to be Scrappy in disguise. The real Emile Mondovarious was locked away for what appeared to be a long period of time.
- The Dragon: N'Goo Tauna is this to Emile Mondovarious, though even he is unaware that he's actually Scrappy...regardless, he still supports him upon learning the truth.
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: Literally.
- Freaky Friday Flip: Mystery Inc. minus Scooby after their souls were transferred to different bodies.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Shaggy mentions that "But you don't need to know what 'Voulez-vous coucher avec moi' to love that song!" Kinda justified in that it is in a song, but it still means 'Do you want to sleep with me?'.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Blackadder aptly plays the devious and cunning Emile Mondavarious.
- Live Action Adaptation
- Let's Split Up, Gang!: The team decides to go off on their own for a while to investigate diffrent aspects of their new mystery.
- Magic Skirt: Linda Cardellini had her skirt taped to her legs so it wouldn't flip over in the scene where she (as Velma) dangles upside down by one foot in a scaffold chain. This was Warner Bros.' edict to help preserve the "family film" integrity.
- Motive Misidentification: Velma believes the videos she finds in the castle are brainwashing videos. In reality, they’re teaching the demons how to act like humans...though not entirely successfully.
- My Name Is Not Durwood: Fred can't ever say Mondavarious' name correctly. Though funny enough he does say it properly once.
- Noodle Incident: According to Fred about Scooby:
"This is more embarrassing than the time you started cleaning your beans at Don Knotts' Christmas party."
Shaggy: "Like, dude..."
- Shout-Out: Upon being thrown out of the Mystery Machine, Scrappy-Doo yells at them as they drive away, saying that he'll get his own show because he's "as cute as a Powerpuff Girl!"
- Totally Radical
- Wham! Line: Mystery Inc. deduced that the villains need a pure soul for their plans. Fred wonders where they are going to find a pure human soul, only for Velma to reveal that it DOESN'T necessarily have to be a human soul..
Velma: "I didn't say human."
Daphne: (having just overpowered Zarkos) "Now who's the damsel in distress?"
- Who Would Want to Watch Us?: Shaggy mentions how Creepy Castles always have suits of armor that turn their head, Daphne has to ask how many times has it actually happened.