|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Welsh singer, 1937-.
The only person to have sung more than one James Bond theme (Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever and Moonraker- she did one for Thunderball too called "Mr Kiss-Kiss Bang-Bang," but the studio went with the Tom Jones version. Affectionately and spooneristically referred to as "Burly Chassis".
Her other famous songs include:
- "Big Spender" ("Hey, Big Spender!")
- "As Long As He Needs Me" (From Oliver!)
- "History Repeating".
- Believe it or not, a cover of "Get The Party Started" (even included on Dancing On Ice)
Bassey's singing style, the singing equivalent of Chewing the Scenery, has been much imitated:
- Geri Halliwell's "Look At Me" definitely has a hint of Bassey to it.
- At points - the Title Song for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, the song takes on the Bassey-style, appropriate considering the other Spy tropes it plays with.
- Richard Cheese did a lounge cover of "Rock the Casbah". Changing the pitch of it turns the cover into a dead-on Bassey pastiche.
- The opening theme for Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me is a parody of Bassey's Bond themes.
- Roza Rymbaeva used this in her debut song "Alia."