|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
"Ready? Many more battle scenes will soon be available!"
Space Harrier is a 1985 Sega shooting game set in the Fantasy Zone, the part which is the land of dragons.
The player controls a man with blond hair, red jacket, blue pants and a jetpack doubling as a laser cannon, who fights alien creatures while zooming towards the horizon at blisteringly fast speeds over highly colorful landscapes.
The original arcade game was built on a version of the powerful "Super Scaler" hardware Sega had introduced in Hang-On and would use again in After Burner and Thunder Blade.
Two console sequels were produced in the late 1980s: Space Harrier 3-D, which used the Sega Master System's SegaScope 3D system, and Space Harrier II, one of the launch titles for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.
- Bonus Stage: Stages 5 and 12 have you leap onto a friendly dragon and score points by flying into everything in sight.
- Boss Rush: The eighteenth and final level (Absymbel) is solely a parade of six of the previous bosses, except that now they get names
- Cyclops: One-eyed woolly mammoths.
- Dragon Rider: You get to ride the good dragon Uriah during the bonus stages and the ending.
- Eenie Meenie Miny Moai: Moai are featured fairly prominently, mostly during level 2 (Geeza).
- Fungus Humongous: Giant psychedelic mushrooms in stages 3 (Amar) & 10 (Minia).
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: Hit an obstacle or projectile, and you lose a life.
- Segmented Serpent: The dragons.
- Shared Universe: With Fantasy Zone.
- Sinister Geometry: Animated icosahedra called Binzbeans.