|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
The Seven Deadly Sins (Japanese: 七つの大罪, Hepburn: Nanatsu no Taizai) is a manga written and illustrated by Nakaba Suzuki, the same author of Kongoh Bancho. It was published on Kodansha's Weekly Shounen Magazine, from 2014 to 2020; it had 41 volumes, plus more than one Spin-Off. There were several anime series as well; the first one was aired in Netflix in 2014, the others following forth.
The kingdom of Brittania has fallen under the rule of the Holy Knights, a group of warriors that before served loyally to the king but now for some unknown reason had revolted against him, and is forcing the population to help them in a war against some unknown enemy. The youngest of the Princesses of Britannia, Elizabeth, decides then to search for the Seven Deadly Sins, renegade knights who were supposedly killed ten years ago, despite not knowing anything about fighting. She ends up finding one of them: their leader Meliodas, the Dragon's Sin of Wrath, who now owns a bar named Boar Hat. However, Meliodas is amnesiac and don't remembers exactly what happened when the Sins supposedly betrayed the kingdom, and was searching for his companions so they could help him solve it.
Together with Meliodas's talking pig Hawk and his Mama (a giant pig who carries the Boar Hat Bar on her back), Elizabeth (now the waitress of the bar) and Meliodas search for the other Seven Deadly Sins (Diane/Serpent's Sin of Envy, King/Grizzly's Sin of Sloth, Ban/Fox's Sin of Greed, Gowther/Goat's Sin of Lust, Merlin/Boar's Sin of Gluttony, and Escanor/Lion's Sin of Pride) while fighting the Holy Knights all over the Kingdom. Once the group's fully reunited, they begin fighting back against the Holy Knights - this also unlocks many revelations about the Knights, Brittannia itself, the Royal Family, the tribes that exist in this world (the Fairy Clan, the Goddess Clan, the Demon Clan, the Giants Clan, and the humans) and ESPECIALLY both Meliodas and Elizabeth. . .
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Brittania is filled with magical warriors and creatures, but a lot of characters can't believe a pig is talking when they meet Hawk.
- Bare Your Midriff: Elizabeth, in her waitress's outfit. Suzuki doesn't bother to actually draw the belly button a lot of times though.
- Childhood Friend Romance: King and Diane met when they were very young. . .
- Chivalrous Pervert: On one hand Meliodas is a kind-hearted warrior and very loyal to his friends. On the other, he's a huge pervert towards Elizabeth from the very start. (And he was like that to his lost love Liz as well)
- Complete Immortality : Ban does not age, and any wound done to him quickly regenerates. His backstory explains the VERY tragic reasons why.
- Meliodas also has this, as a part of the curse casted on him and Elizabeth.
- Dead Little Sister: At the start, King sides with the Holy Knights because he believes Ban killed his younger sister Elaine...
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Meliodas's bar "Boar Hat" is on top of Hawk's mom head; therefore, is a hat.
- Fanservice: Women wearing skimpy outfits, plus an extremely perverted male protagonist (thoguh he's only a pervert towards his Love Interest), equals a lot of this.
- Ban, Gowther and Escanor are there to fill the female (and gay) niche.
- Healing Hands: Elizabeth has this power, and later gets more of the Holy Hand Grenade and Light'Em Up kind.
- Lethal Chef: Melodias, holy shit. There's a reason why Ban takes up cooking duty as soon as he joins in.
- Miss Fanservice: With Meliodas perving all around her and making her wear a revealing costume, Elizabeth qualifies. Diane also fits in, and then Merlin is this and some more.
- Mr. Fanservice: Ban is a bad boy-like Hunk who wears leather and shows off his well-sculpted abs. Gowther is a very girly-looking Pretty Boy who also bares his belly and once in a while ends up Disguised in Drag. Escanor looks meek and geeky by night but gets a Sexier Alter Ego by day. . .
- Missing Mom: Elizabeth's mom died when she was very young. Her adoptive mom, that is.
- Older Than He Looks: Meliodas is thousand years old; he looks like a young teen, however. Justified: he's actually a demon.
- Peek A Bangs: Elizabeth's hair covers her right eye.
- Really Seven Hundred Years Old: Diane is 750 years old, but only looks and acts like she is in her later teens a best. She isn't really immortal; giant just age slowly than humans, and in giant terms she is a teenager (the equivalent of a 15-16 year old).
- There's also Meliodas (from the Demon Clan), Ban (human, but became inmortal in his 20's), Gowther (implied to be an Artificial Human created centuries ago), King (from the Fairy Clan).
- The Seven Deadly Sins: But of course. In this case, each of the Sins is someone who is said to have committed an absolutely horrifying crime related to one Sin, and thus has been branded with an animal that signifies said sin. i.e., Meliodas single-handedly destroyed a whole kingdom when under an Unstoppable Rage, thus he was branded as the Dragon of Wrath in the group.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Ban and the fairy Elaine, who died to save him.
- Meliodas and Elizabeth, holy shit. They were a demon and a goddess who fell in love, thus broke a huge taboo from their tribes, and an horribly strong curse was casted on the two by her mother (the Supreme Goddess) and his father (the Demon King). Elizabeth's share of said curse has her trapped in a cycle of continous Reincarnation where she'll find Meliodas, fall for him, remember their past love, and then die in the span of three days so she can be reborn and then start all over again; Meliodas' own share is one of Complete Immortality, where he simply will be resurrected whenever he dies so he can find Elizabeth's new self, only to be separated from her as soon as she remembers their love (plus he will progressively lose his emotions). The current Elizabeth is the 107th one caught in such a deal; the 106th one was Meliodas' dead girlfriend Liz, an Action Girl from the Holy Knights of Danafor.
- Talking Animal: Hawk, and it seems unique to him; other characters get surprised at hear him talk and his Mama doesn't talk human language either.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Elizabeth is an unique case, because she only wears stockings on one leg on her waitress uniform. Class S.