|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
The Veronicas (2005-present) are Jessica and Lisa Origliasso, born on Christmas day 1984. Twins from Brisbane, Australia, both are self taught guitarists and piano players.
Hit songs include: 4ever, Untouched, Hook Me Up (#1 in Australia) and Everything I'm Not. Their first album was acoustic pop rock, their second was classical electronic rock power pop, their next album may have an RNB edge.
They have worked with including Clif Magness (who has written with Avril Lavigne), Billy Steinberg (Madonna, Cyndi Lauper), Max Martin (Britney Spears, Katy Perry), Eric Nova, Dead Mono, Vince Degiorgio, Toby Gad (Kelly Clarkson, Alicia Keys) and Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins.
They tour constantly, (Since 05) Their last tour was called Revenge is Sweeter (2009) and it was a world wide tour, including America and UK, It went for about 7 months overall. They have since done 5 or more preview shows for their upcoming album,
Started pre-production and writing work on their third album since late 2009. During the lack of album releases Lisa started a side project called "Dead Cool Dropouts" with her friend Tyler Bryant of the Taylor Bryant band with Garageband. They focus on doing acoustic break up songs like, Shallow, Green Eyes Make Me Blue and Write You Off.
Jess had her own side project called Cakehole, in 07, which has a pleasant song called "Stab You".
The Veronicas also promoted the upcoming album with live tracks which were called: Cold, Let Me Out, Dead Cool, Heart Like A Boat, Baby Im Ready, Set It off, Who Ohh, Could've Been and Psycho Bitch, At various gigs over the periods of 2011 and 2010.
They are currently working on the release of their third album.
- The Secret Life Of...The Veronicas (2005)
- Hook Me Up (2007)
- Life On Mars (2012)
- Exposed... The Secret Life of The Veronicas (2006)
- Revenge Is Sweeter Tour (2009)
- Sessions@AOL (2005)
- Unplugged:The Veronicas (2006)
- Untouched:Lost Tracks (2009)
- The Live Tracks Featuring; Cold, Let Me Out, Dead Cool, Heart Like A Boat, Baby Im Ready, Set It off, Who Ohh, Could've Been, My Best Mistake and Psycho Bitch (Late 2011)
- Audience Participation Song: 4ever, Everything, Everything I'm Not, This Love
- And Now for Something Completely Different: A common theme between albums
- Arc Words / Verbal Tic / Author Vocabulary Calendar: Uses the word, "Everything" a lot in the titling of their songs.
- "Everything I'm Not","Everything I Need", "Everything".
- Band of Relatives: Twins are twins.
- Be Yourself: And be loved as yourself is the theme of Secret Life
- Best Served Cold: "REVENGE is Sweeter" and the Everything I'm Not video.
- Break Up Song: Where to start...
- Boastful Rap: Popular, a parody on conceited musicians.
- Big Rock Ending: In Another Life
- Bi the Way: Jess has outright stated this a few times.
- Careful with That Axe: Jess does some fierce screams at the end of Mother Mother.
- Psycho Bitch naturally has screams too.
- Cover Version: Uprising, Skyscraper, Burnin Up, Mother Mother, Long Way To The Top, Baby One More Time, Grown Up Christmas List, Rock You Like A Hurricane, A Teardrop Hitting The Ground and more..
- Concept Album:
- Secret Life: They said themselves they had a Be Yourself complex while writing the album
- Hook Me Up: Long distance relationships and fame side effects.
- Creator Breakdown: In Another Life was recorded while Jess was in tears, obviously over what caused her to create this song and this is heard on the album and makes the song a fan favourite.
- Cold is rather personal to Lisa because it's about an abusive relationship she appears to have been in, (see the lyrics) and she's still upset performing it, hence her doing the spoken bits. It's her story to tell, just like In Another Life was Jess'.
- Creator Couple: Both of them and their currant and SOME of the past boyfriends have written with, collaborated with them live or added instrumental parts to their albums.(Steve Corgan (Darkness In Me), Tyler Bryrant (Dead Cool Dropouts), Steve Childs (Red 4 U), Reeve Carney) Falls into Dream Team sometimes.
- Development Hell: Recording company has been pushing their third album back for almost 2.5 years now.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sometimes in interviews they can do this!
- Echoing Acoustics: Used in In Another Life and Mouth Shut
- Executive Meddling: The original version of "Hook Me Up" The Album had Don't Say Goodbye instead of the reused b-side "Someone Wake Me Up" as one of the last tracks of the album.
- Follow the Leader: Subverted as they are the ones calling the shots.
- Genre Roulette: Two albums in and have done pop, pop-rock, pop electronic, dance pop, classical pop, 80's inspired pop and RNB.
- Intercourse with You: Take Me on the Floor, Untouched, This Love, 4ever, All I Have, I Can't Stay Away, Everything
- I Need a Freaking Drink: "When It All Falls Apart", "Insomnia" and "Hook Me Up"
- Love Is a Drug: I Can't Stay Away
- Leave Me Alone: Has a song called this.
- Lighter and Softer: Not in the most obvious way but, Hook Me Up was relatively more fun and silly then their debut.
- Minimalistic Cover Art: Hook Me Up and Secret Life Of has some gradient, their names and the album titles.
- Mood Whiplash: Speechless then Heavily Broken on their debut.
- Motor Mouth: Untouched, Said in fast speed without a breath.
I go ooh ooh, you go ah ah/lalalalalalalala/I can't lie lie lie lie lie lie
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: How they explain their own music:
- Secret Life Of: Heavy Folk Pop Rock
- Hook Me Up: Symphonic Electronic Rap Rock Pop
- Life On Mars: trip-hop Grunge, rock 'n' roll Rap, Heavy Metal Rap, Progressive Pop never the less.
- New Sound Album: Every album so far
- Non-Appearing Title: "Secret", "Everything I Need"
- Obsession Song: Everything, I Can't Stay Away, Could've Been, Let Me Out
- Power Ballad: In Another Life is at least one example of this.
- Performance Video: Revolution
- Precision F-Strike: "This Is How It Feels" and "Cold"
- Subverted on "When It All Falls Apart" which they called cool to be uncool.
- Piss-Take Rap: Popular besides also being a parody of Boastful Rap's.
- Record Producer: Toby Gad did most of their second album
- Rearrange the Song: Besides the standard acoustic versions of all their singles, and some non-singles which hit their heart (Heavily Broken)
- Revenge Is Sweeter was sped up in their live album "Revenge Is Sweeter", to the songs benefit.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: This Is How It Feels, Everything I Need, Revenge Is Sweeter (Than You Ever Were), Cold, When It All Falls Apart
- Romance on the Set: Jess's romance with Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins, Started due to him helping them with their third album.
- Rockstar Song: Popular and Hollywood feature elements of this trope
- Sanity Slippage Song: Hook Me Up, When It All Falls Apart, Heavily Broken, Hollywood, Insomnia, How Long
- Self-Backing Vocalist: They do all the vocals on all their albums
- Silly Love Songs: This Love, Speechless, I Could get used To This, Heart Like A Boat
- Sibling Team; Twins
- Signature Song: "4ever", "Hook Me Up" and "Untouched"
- Studio Chatter: Before "Mother Mother" on their debut album.
- Before "Insomnia" Jess is asleep
- At the end of "Change The World" We wanna change your bad attitude! (laughter)
- At the end of "Luv" Shut up Lisa!"
- At the end of "I Don't Wanna Wait" there is a laughing mess-up of the lyrics.
- Spoken Word in Music: Untouched, Cold, Insomnia
- Stalker with a Crush: One of their exes is implied to turn into one of these right after their relationship ends in This Is how It Feels
You got nothing to say, gettin' in the way
- The guy on the receiving end of Secret also plays this role.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Have a real big take no crap image, will go after people who hurt them, take no prisoners ever
- and are particularly sensitive to issues in their home country and always looking out for animals, and constantly fight for civil rights, gay rights, woman's rights and equality within the world.
- Subdued Section:
- "This Is How It Feels" verse three
- "This Love", Chorus 3, takes everything away except for the electronic piano.
- "Revenge Is Sweeter" last part of third verse, first part of chorus after that.
- "In Another Life" first part of the last chorus
- Take That: In the lyrics
You're On The Way Down...I can't wait to see you burn.
- Aimed at Ryan Cabrera, who had a song called that bolded part.The song with these lyrics is Revenge is Sweeter (Than you ever were)
- Take That! Us!: Did a song called "Double Trouble (Samey Samey)" which exists purely for this purpose.They know how crazy the whole twins thing makes people.
- Twincest: A part of their very early videos till they grew out of it.
- Unplugged Version: Sessions@AOL, Mtv.com Live EP and always a section of their live show
- Woman Scorned: Revenge Is Sweeter (Than You ever were), Everything I'm Not, Did Ya Think, This Is How It Feels
- With Friends Like These...: Outright stated in When It All Falls Apart:
Don't know who my real friends are (anymore)/I put my faith in you
- What Did I Do Last Night?: The story line behind the "When It All Falls Apart" music video and the second verse of the actual song.
- Your Cheating Heart: Revenge Is Sweeter (Than you ever were), All I Have, Everything I'm Not, Did Ya Think
- Their music tends to be Progressive anyway