|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury is a novel written by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga. It is the second of three prequel novels to Kirkman's comic The Walking Dead, the first being The Walking Dead Rise of the Governor. It is set for release of October 2012.
The story focuses on a young woman named Lilly who, in the midst of a Zombie Apocalypse, finds safety in the gated town of Woodbury. Woodbury, however, is ruled by the Governor and it's long before his despotic rule undermines everything that Lilly believes in.
The novel contains examples of the following tropes:
- Ascended Extra - In the comics, Lilly only appeared for a couple of pages. Her role was important, though; under the Governor's orders, she shoots and kills Lori during the siege on the prison. Upon discovering that Lori was holding a baby and that Lilly had killed her as well, she shoots the Governor in the head.
- Bread and Circuses - The Governor keeps the people of Woodbury entertained with cage fights with zombies.
- Crap Saccharine World - Woodbury.
- Doomed by Canon - The Governor and (maybe) Lilly.
- Humans Are Bastards - Par for the course in The Walking Dead.