|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
The year is 1999, and the evil General Akhboob closes off his country to the rest of the world and captures all of the reporters that went to the scene looking for a story. Also, the General is using his base to create mutants, stockpiling weapons and doing other various nasty things, and it's up to the Doomsday Squad (Captain Carnage and Major Mayhem) to go in, destroy the base and capture General Akhboob.
- America Saves the Day — hammered home by the presence of American flags that both heroes can collect.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: General Akhboob's insults during the intermissions.
- Auto Scrolling Game — for the most part, anyway.
- Bloodier and Gorier
- Bowdlerization: The SNES port is noticeably censored in comparison to the original arcade version; neither hero has a hole in their chests after stepping on mines, and the blood goes from red to blue.
- Brutal Bonus Level: Most warp spirals will send you to bonus screens where you can boost your score, but all of them are loaded with hazards that can still result in death.
- Call Back to Smash TV, since Akhboob will occasionally shout "I'll buy you for a dollar!"
- Color-Coded Multiplayer: Captain Carnage is a white soldier; Major Mayhem is a black soldier.
- Cutscene Power to the Max: On the electric chair challenge, your supermuscleman can potentially survive 60,000 volt blasts through your cranium. But in-game, you're a total wuss who dies in a single touch.
- Electric Torture
- Every Car Is a Pinto — as well as every other ground vehicle in General Akhboob's fleet.
- Everything Trying to Kill You
- Fire-Breathing Weapon
- Invincibility Power-Up
- I Shall Taunt You: Another of General Akhboob's specialties
"You suck at this game!"
- Losing Horns: Played in the event that a screen-clearing bomb does nothing.
- Ludicrous Gibs
- Made of Iron: Mooks and Bosses, but also...
- Made of Plasticine: You the PC, and all of the humanoid mooks.
- Man On Fire: Setting fire to certain objects (e.g. vehicles) will turn nearby Mooks into burning men, who charge at you with flaming fists. You're not so lucky, if your super wussy plasticine muscleman touches anything even remotely flaming (like the burning men), you are instant cinders.
- More Dakka
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Boy howdy! Your character's muscles put even the Hulk to shame. But one touch of anything and you are instant meatsauce.
- Nitro Boost: Sneakers increase the heroes' walking speed as they go "Whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop"
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: The Player Characters and most mooks.
- One Up: Dog tags in various segments.
- Ow, My Body Part: Orcus, the game's first boss, will scream something like this whenever one of his (its?) body parts is destroyed.
Orcus: "My head! My head!"
- Press X to Not Die: A "challenge" that randomly pops up involves Captain Carnage and Major Mayhem being strapped to electric chairs. Each player has to mash their start button as much as possible to prevent them both from seeing the continue screen.
- Ramming Always Works — but only while invincible.
- Soldiers Headband
- Spiritual Successor: To Smash TV.
- Spread Shot
- Stock Audio Clip: The "Bingo!" and "Total Carnage!" sounds comes directly from Smash TV.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Natch.
- Top-Heavy Guy: You are, as well as many of the enemies.
- Torso with a View: Stepping on a mine, getting run over, or getting squashed causes the heroes' bodies to fly into the air, allowing the players to see their bloody chest cavities.
- Walking Shirtless Scene
- Warp Zone: Several rotating spirals can take the heroes further into the game.