|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Tropedia Wiki is this very website! To learn more about the background of this website, its rules and policies, see our "About Us" page.
However, that's not what this page is about. This website is also a creative work, so it gets its very own list of tropes!
- Affectionate Nickname: The hosts of Tropedia are commonly referred to as "our site overlords".
- Banned On TV Tropes: We have many works that were censored off TV Tropes, and will continue to allow articles that would be censored by their current standards, so long as they are tropable works.
- Also, some of the administrators of Tropedia were literally banned on TV Tropes by its former owner Fast Eddie, for challenging his decisions and policies, or for exercising their rights under Creative Commons, and one was actually banned simply for leaving TVT and saying why. (To be absolutely honest, the new regime has reversed the bans and invited back at least some of Tropedia's admins. None have so far taken them up on it, and at least one admin never had a TV Tropes account to begin with.)
- There is a limited amount of interaction between both sites for the purposes of preventing troublemakers for both from becoming a problem and to ensure copyrights between sites are honored, though it bears mentioning ATT is prevented from advertising its existence on TV Tropes in any meaningful capacity.
- Censorship Bureau: Averted as much as legally allowable.
- David Versus Goliath: One of the main goals of this website is to take on its archrival, TV Tropes. Hopefully, we'll see the magic of Underdogs Never Lose happen.
- Defector From Decadence: The creators of Tropedia felt that TV Tropes had fallen too far away from its original principles to be a good resource for troping so they started their own troping wiki as a remedy to the problem.
- Friendly Rivalry: Despite differences in opinion, Tropedia and TVT have openly avoided antagonizing one another, agreeing to merely respect each other's license change, and have even cooperated to stop vandals who gave both their wikis trouble.
- Freeware: Tropedia uses MediaWiki, charges nothing for any of its services, and allows unlimited forking, even for commercial purposes, so long as its copyright license is honored on any fork (and that license allow for commercial use if desired).
- Our Lawyers Advised This Trope: Our Orain overlords advised the following disclaimer be put on the Tropedia Drinking Game page.
All The Tropes and Orain are not responsible for any damages that result from drinking games,
- After the move necessitated when Orain was Killed Off for Real, this now reads:
All The Tropes is not responsible for any damages that result from drinking games,
- Rousseau Was Right: A running theme of the rules of the site is a belief that deliberately encouraging the editors to do the right thing by site policy and other editors will lead to a productive editing environment, as opposed to assuming the editors are fools easily led astray and who need rules — and heavy-handed administrators enforcing them — to keep them in line.
- Running Gag: We tend to use "Not to be confused with..." more for links with giggle value than serious cross-references.
- Start My Own
- Take That: The wiki name was deliberately selected both to highlight Tropedia's openness and freedom to explore territory which TVT declared verboten, and to advertise that we had rescued, restored or reconstructed as much of the content that we could find that TVT had deliberately destroyed in its campaign to become advertiser-safe.