|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
I had sex in a public pool when I was 22.
Sex in a pool. Why is it common enough to warrant a trope? Perhaps it's our distant amphibian past. Perhaps it's because you don't get cold. Perhaps water is an aphrodisiac. Perhaps the amount of glistening skin left exposed by bathing suits is a turn-on. Whatever, sometimes two people get into a swimming pool and take part in what many public pools describe as "heavy petting". Sometimes goes hand in hand with Underwater Kiss.
No real life examples, please; All The Tropes is not a gossip site.
Anime & Manga
- In Strawberry Panic, Kaname and Momomi have moments were they do this in the bathtub during episodes 13 and 15.
- Kuttsukiboshi features the school's private pool as the unfortunate victim of Aya and Kiiko's private time. Summer can have that effect in anyone, it seems.
- The XXXenophile story "Sweet Water". One of the participants is a naiad (the spirit of the spring that feeds the pool). Meaning that the guy is not just having sex in the pool, he is having sex with the pool.
- Like most sex tropes, this one has been used in the Cherry Comics.
- Bishop-Major Simon Passover scores with a mother and daughter at the same time in a sunken tub in Ironwood.
- Implied to be a part of Garth (Aqualad) and Tula (Aquagirl's) love life in Teen Titans. Both are Atlantean and need to spend a lot of time immersed anyway.
- Common in the Housewives At Play art collections.
- The James Bond films:
- Licence to Kill (possibly; we get a Discretion Shot)
- A View to a Kill
- For Your Eyes Only, only there it's the ocean. Oooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww....
- In a deleted scene from Die Another Day. Interestingly, this actually a Fake-Out Make-Out scenario to hide the fact that Bond and another agent have been snooping around the Big Bad's headquarters. They don't do the deed until returning to his room.
- The beginning of Piranha started with this which turned out to be a big mistake.
- Wild Things.
- Hollywood Homicide finds Josh Hartnet coming home to one of his yoga students waiting for him in the hot tub.
- Showgirls has an example which starts straight but quickly turns into comedy.
- The first Austin Powers movie has a variant in a hottub, itself parodying the James Bond example.
- The Baz Luhrmann film William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet has a relatively tame version.
- Four Rooms features one, kinda. Also, the girl is a witch, and the pool functions as her Coven's cauldron.
- In Lakeview Terrace, Samuel L. Jackson's young kids watch their new neighbors do this. When Sammy finds out, He is not impressed.
- Zero Cool and Acid Burn have one of these at the end of Hackers.
- Clark Griswold attempts to have one of these with Christie Brinkley's character in National Lampoon's Vacation, but his wife discovers them before anything can happen.
- The Banger Sisters
- Whip It
- Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever has one. Even if you like BBWs, this isn't sexy at all. We see the rather chunky results floating in the pool several scenes later.
- Rat Race taught us that it is not a good idea to do this with your ex girlfriend when your new girlfriend is a Yandere with a license to fly a helicopter.
- Referenced in Easy A. Melody Bostic parents let her have a party ever time she catches them having sex in the pool which, according to Olive, is about once a week.
- A Three Person Pool party occurs in Machete as Machete scores with mother/daughter pair June and April Booth.
- Wild Wild West. Jim West and a girlfriend have one in a water tower until it falls down.
- In Halloween 2, Nurse Karen and Budd get busy in the hospital's hydrotherapy pool before Michael Myers strangles Budd with a length of cord and drowns Nurse Karen after dunking her face into scalding water, causing her face to blister and boil.
- Almost happens in The Pool, but the killer offs the participants before it can happen. That bastard!
- Subverted in Y Tu Mama Tambien. The two male best friends frequently swim in the city pool when it is closed (I think they were supposed to be working there or something). On one occasion they get naked and masturbate, one on the side of the pool, one on the diving board. Cut to underwater shot of semen falling into the water.
- Hope Marie Carlton and Bruce Penhall have one in the Jacuzzi in Picasso Trigger.
- In Scandal: Sex@students.edu, the one that Donna Silverman (Kim Dawson) has with Jon Griffith (Bobby Johnston) is being videotaped.
- A very old joke asks "how many Californians to screw in a lightbulb?" (The answer, presumably, none: Californians screw in hot tubs.)
- In The Terror by Dan Simmons the captain has a flashback to sex in a pool. It's used to reveal a bit about the era, namely he completely misses the woman he loves having an orgasm.
- Twilight Slightly different, Bella and Edward honeymoon, started with a midnight swim on the ocean. It was a private island, fortunately.
- In The Otherworld, two people who have UST go skinny dipping together in her family's private pool. After the inevitable occurs, they take the pool towels into the woods and fall asleep together.
Live Action TV
- Happened in the first season of French version of Big Brother.
- And the sixth season of the British one, allegedly.
- Sex and the City
- In The L Word pilot, Jenny's first sapphic stirrings come as she watches Shane and a random girl get it on in the pool next door.
- In Mad Men, Don has sex with a young woman in a pool. Her father is having sex with another woman in the same pool.
- Honest. Twice.
- Glee - Finn believes Quinn when she tells him she got pregnant in the hot tub, even though they didn't have sex – or even take their bathing suits off.
- Naomi and Emily were supposed to do something like this in Skins, until they realized that the lake they were using was a hell of a lot colder than anyone anticipated and Kathryn Prescott (Emily) ended up in an ambulance with hypothermia.
- Don't even try to imagine how many diseases are floating in the hot tub on Jersey Shore.
- Tony and Carmella's reconciliation in season 5 of The Sopranos starts in the pool.
- The reality dating show Blind Date, had a lot of those. Especially in a hot tub.
- In Desperate Housewives, the way we find out Andrew is gay is that he's doing this with his friend Justin.
- In one scene, in Playboy: Girls of Spring Break suggests that Wendy Christine and Michelle Mullica are holding one in the Jacuzzi.
- The Sims lets your Sim couples do this in hot tubs. In public.
- This can occur between Geralt and Triss in The Witcher 2. Although their pool is really a fountain.
- Implied to have happened in Final Fantasy X. If Tidus and Yuna didn't go all the way, they certainly seemed to have done everything shy of it.
- In one of the earlier threads of Survival of the Fittest version three, Guy Rapide implies that he and Kallie Majors had sex in a pool.
- Marge and Homer Simpson did it once. The cops tried helicopter surveillance.
"Do not be alarmed! Continue swimming naked! Aw c'mon, continue! C'mon! ...Open fire, Lou."
- American Dad takes this trope into a rather weird direction. Specifically, with Stan and Roger.
- There's an implied one at the end of the Hey Arnold! episode, "Synchronized Swimming," between Coach Wittenberg and his estranged wife, Tish, while enjoying a late-night float in the community center pool.
Coach Wittenberg: What do you say we implore the mysteries of the deep?
- South Park: The "Two Men in a Hot Tub" episode. Really, the title of the episode says enough.
- Clone High: "Hey, let's all go swimming in my pool! And by pool, I mean bathtub. And by swimming, I mean SEX!"
- And that gets "Homaged" in the Hongkong soft porn The Fruit is Swelling '97.