|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
An Italian-based Disney Modular Franchise based around the characters of the Mickey Mouse Comic Universe and Disney Ducks Comic Universe. Besides the comic that started it, it also spawned trading card and mobile phone games.
The story begins with Mickey Mouse, The Apprentice to the local village mage Nereus, setting out on a quest to reclaim his village's Rain Diamagic, one of many magical crystals scattered across the world, from the clutches of Peg Leg Pete, leader of Team Black Phantom (consisting of himself and the Beagle Boys). Making things worse, the Phantom Blot has kidnapped Nereus and is searching the world for ways to increase his dark power. When finally facing Pete, he finds he has to enter the Wizards Tournament to actually fight him and meets Donald Duck (here an Inept Mage) and Goofy (a herbalist/alchemist who only uses magic when necessary). The three call themselves the Wizards of Mickey and end up rising up the ranks and collecting the Diamagics, while foiling the plots of the Blot and his henchmen.
The storyline started in October, 2006. Five arcs have been released in Italy: Wizards of Mickey I, Wizards of Mickey II: The Dark Ages, Wizards of Mickey III: The Ancient Evil, Wizards of Mickey IV: The New World and Wizards of Mickey V: The Lost Legends. In 2009, when Boom! Studios acquired the rights to the Disney comics, they brought Wizards of Mickey to the United States to much praise and acclaim.
This series includes examples of:
- The Apprentice: Mickey.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Donald with Daisy. Goofy tries to help him, but well... it's Donald.
- The Cassandra: Clarabelle Cow is this, only she sometimes forgets to let other people know about her visions until they've already happened.
- Chekhov's Gun: Donald's magic actually works perfectly, it's just that most often it doesn't take effect until some time has passed. Remember this -- it's going to be important to the plot several times.
- Ditzy Genius: Goofy, who is portrayed as much more talented and intelligent than in the normal continuity, but still lacks a bit of common sense.
- Enemy Mine: Dreadking, the villain from the second story, teamed up with the heroes in the third.
- Evil Sorcerer: The Phantom Blot.
- Face Heel Turn: more like Brainwashed and Crazy, but still, this happens to friggin' Mickey in The Dark Ages. Word of God is that they made him evil for the hell of it, although, considering who we're talking about, by the end of the series the process is reversed.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Goofy builds a damn Humongous Mecha dragon for his team to help the dragons retrieve a stolen egg.
- Gotta Catch Em All: The Diamagics count as a Type A and a Type B. They're Crucial, but nobody aside from Nereus and The Phantom Blot realises this until fairly late into the first Story Arc.
- The Hecate Sisters: Magica De Spell and her group, Team Jinx.
- Inept Mage: Donald, whose magic tends to be slow acting and troublesome for him as a result
- Invisibility Cloak: Used by Team Black Phantom.
- Magitek: The Iron Sorcerer has a whole robotic army and then there's Goofy's dragon mech.
- No Export for You: Averted... kind of. BOOM! Kids have published Book 1, but that's it so far.
- Brazilian readers got to read up to the third story when Dreadking teamed up with the heroes against a common foe.
- One-Scene Wonder: Several characters from the Disney Ducks Comic Universe show up in minor roles, such as Gyro Gearloose, Gladstone Gander, Fethry Duck, Gus Goose, Brigitta, Jubal Pomp and Ludwig Von Drake. Most of them only appear in one chapter, though some (like Fethry) make surprise returns.
- One-Winged Angel: The dark cloaked Blot we all know doesn't come in until later, and this time, it's an inky monstrosity similar to what Epic Mickey is doing.
- Our Dragons Are Better: Whilst the dragons in Wizards of Mickey do participate in the tournament, they generally consider themselves more sophisticated than "the scaleless" and in the first arc they're are participating in the tournament out of politeness more than anything else.
- Our Dragons Are Different: The original magic users, dragons still show up in the everyday goings of the world like any other group, and even some participate in the tournament.
- Donald's "puppy dragon" Fafnir, by contrast, is more like an animal in intelligence and functions as Team Pet, though he is very young.
- Our Orcs Are Different: They're part weasel, for one thing.
- Power Trio: All wizard teams participating in the Tournament
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: Team Black Phantom
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Trudy van Tubb is inroduced this way in The New World, having dressed up as a man in order to join Pete's pirate crew.
- Taken for Granite: What happened to Minnie's Doomed Hometown.
- Temporary Substitute: When Donald and Goofy have to return to their homelands at the end of The New World, Minnie and Fethry fill in their places on Mickey's team.
- Terrible Trio: Team Black Phantom (technically a quartet, thanks to the aforementioned Invisibility Cloak) and Team Jinx.
- Tournament Arc: The first series.
- The Unseen: King Scrooge McDuck during the first three storylines; he is constantly referred to, as Donald's greedy uncle to whom he owes a lot of money, but never actually appears. In The New World, however, he makes some brief appearances, and in The Forgotten Legends, which focuses around Donald's life before he met Mickey and Goofy, Scrooge plays a major role.